Saturday, January 26, 2013

17_Getting closer to the good and bad things in the village


Today i celebrate my 10 days anniversary in Far East Nepal.
I have talked to so many people already, and will talk even more. As for now, I covered 2 central wards of the village (the village is divided in 9 wards and to reach the last one takes 6 hours of walk for locals). By employing the strategy of seeing an interviewee for at least 2 times I manage to build contacts, get lots of village snacks (some roots, some super sour small fruits, some roasted beans), to see people running from their houses when they hear that I am nearby. Is it the same village where people would stare at me and turn their heads after the eye contact? All of them tell me “bichaaraaaa” (poor you), because of my poor language schools, all of them would have those sad eyes when I turn my back to leave their house. They are so happy and they tell me thank you just because I’ve travelled so long and I came to see them.


I am still not tired of this peace and lack of everything the city gives-opportunities, shops, different people and noise, noise, noise. Cannot stop admiring the natural beauty of stunning mountains, forests and rivers.  I just wish I could get fruits here, and sometimes decide by myself what I want to eat. For couple of days I’ve been eating easy version of daal bhat-rice with potatoes. Maybe due to this lack of protein or general tiredness we both were hardly walking up today.
Yes, I am walking up-down all days, with long breaks for interviews though. I cannot decide-whether I shall ask university to pay me more for this physically hard task or it is me who should pay them for giving an opportunity of daily gym in this beautiful surrounding?

Young children at school
And then I am getting so angry by seeing the educational system and how the potential of young people is killed in schools. I know, I should be happy for seeing schools in a place, where most of the people in their 40-ties have never attended the school, because in their time this place was too remote. I know, I should be happy, but… students from 12th class have almost all the books in English (even accounting or marketing, for example), but they are unable to say even very primitive sentences in English (!!!). Small children are deadly scared when I play the simple educational game with them, simply because school for them is blind repeating. I’ve been thinking of making some classes with children or workshops with youth, but then-probably I should just shut my westerner inside and not go against the whole army of teachers with my methods. Teachers here are gods and they jealously protect their territory. Even though I believe I could make changes in a small group of youth if I work with them constantly-others would not accept them anymore. So maybe it is just me who needs to accept this educational culture, so wrong according to me.
Lesson at school:typically outside, at this season it is too cold to sit inside



I totally love my company of two wonderful girls (of their 19 and 18) and our understanding each other. But I feel so sorry seeing them as wives in their near future. Recently one woman told me that I am at the age when the life of the woman ends, because she is getting married.  Another time I was looking at the photos and commented that the brides always look so sad at their wedding pictures. The answer was-for most of the girls this is the saddest day. I closed the tears inside me remembering my friends getting married, being so beautiful, so happy, dreaming about this day since their childhood. Here many brides are crying. I am still to get just a bit closer to the life of a woman, probably I will never get close enough. Comparing to other villages I get the impression of mostly a healthy family environment in houses. Then where is this pain coming from?


Sometimes it feels like I’ve been here all the time and the world outside does not exist. Sometimes I am getting so tired starving for the comforts I am used to-bathroom, easy walking, fruits. I have never been so happy from receiving letters from outside. Then I plan what to do when I come back. But mostly I want to stay here longer than I can.


How will be my 30 day anniversary?

No comments:

Post a Comment